All C-PACE projects must generate measurable energy savings or water usage reductions. The Philadelphia C-PACE program requires that a Property Owner obtain a survey from a qualified engineer to establish an energy or water baseline and the projected savings or usage reductions. Engineers can help Property Owners identify additional energy- and water-saving measures to include in a C-PACE project.

How It Works

Engineering professionals play a central role in each C-PACE project.

  1. Confirm Qualifications

    The energy conservation measure (ECM) survey for each C-PACE project must be prepared and submitted by a qualified engineer who holds at least one of the following certifications or licenses:

    • Certified Building Energy Assessment Professional (BEAP)
    • Certified Energy Auditor (CEA)
    • Certified Energy Manager (CEM)
    • Certified High-Performance Building Design Professional (HBDP)
    • Certified Measurement and Verification Professional (CMVP)
    • Licensed Professional Engineer (P.E.)
    • Investor Confidence Project (ICP) Quality Assurance Assessor
    • Investor Confidence Project (ICP) Developer
    • Certified Passive House Consultant (CPHC)
    • EMA’s Energy Management Professional (EMP)


  2. Optional Self-Certification with PEA

    Recognizing that not all Property Owners are familiar with qualified engineers capable of producing an ECM Survey, PEA is accepting self-certification from such firms via a form on the Resources page.

    PEA will list self-certified qualified engineering firms on the Qualified Engineering firms page.

    PEA does not verify, vet, endorse, or rank any of the firms or individuals listed.

  3. Create ECM Survey

    Engineering firms work with Property Owners to produce an ECM Survey comparing the baseline to the projected energy and water savings resulting from the project. ECM Survey requirements vary depending on whether the Property Owner is pursuing an energy efficiency, water conservation or renewable energy project. Please contact PEA with any questions on energy modeling approaches.

Have questions?

Visit the FAQs page or contact PEA to learn more about the C-PACE process.

Learn More

Related Resources

What is C-PACE?

C-PACE is a financing structure that allows commercial property owners to borrow money for energy and water efficiency improvements and renewable energy installations via a special assessment similar to a property tax assessment.

Learn More

Ready to Apply?

Complete the form on application page or contact us for more information.

Learn More